Domestic Violence Awareness Month
October is around the corner and which means so is Domestic Violence Awareness Month! If you are a survivor, a parent or sibling, or know of somebody who has suffered abuse; or if you are simply just concerned about the issue, this month is the time to come together and help support victims. Throughout this month keep an eye out on our Rider Goodwin platforms for information about how to participate in raising awareness. In preparation for the upcoming month, the below notes will shed some light on the issue of relationship violence.
- Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- In Colorado, 919 DV Victims were served in one day.
- In Colorado, 476 domestic violence victims found refuge in emergency shelters or transitional housing provided by local domestic violence programs.
- In Colorado, 443 adults and children received non-residential assistance and services, including counseling, legal advocacy, and children’s support groups.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.